Located on more than 500 acres, The Abaco Club is a private, international sporting club and residential community on Great Abaco Island. Featured member benefits include a remarkable private 2.5-mile-long beach, the No. 1-ranked golf course in The Bahamas, a recently updated marina and yacht club, expanded dining experiences, and myriad on- and off-property leisure activities.
Bolstered by club members utilizing the community as a haven through the pandemic, Southworth has continued its plans to reshape the property as it anticipates brighter days ahead. The array of new on-property enhancements includes:
- An extensive expansion of the fitness center to give it a more open and inviting aesthetic. The space now showcases large floor-to-ceiling windows affording views of the property and ocean beyond plus state-of-the-art machinery from brands like Peloton and Stairmaster.
- Renovation of the day dock, highlighted by a new floating dock perfect for water toys
- Creation of a spectacular beachside playground with structures shaded by mature palm trees. The area also features an adult fitness component and oceanfront manicured event lawn.
- A new outdoor lounge overlooking the entire property
- Addition of a new food truck specializing in Bahamian fare and concurrent construction of a surf-themed eating area
- Update of the club’s popular waterfront casual dining experience
“The Abaco Club is quite an effective ‘bubble,’” he says. “The Bahamas has their act together in terms of testing requirements both pre- and post-arrival, and our community is extremely protected. In addition, we are fortunate to have the island’s primary doctor as one of our residents, so the mandated one-time, post-arrival test can occur in the comfort of your residence. This combination of stress-free testing protocols, Great Abaco Island’s widely dispersed population, and the remarkable seclusion of The Abaco Club on the island itself makes our community extremely desirable during these challenging times.
“But even more relevant than those short-term advantages is our ability to tap into longer-term trends that we think are here to stay. For example, many of the members and residents of our clubs are C-level executives. They’ve told us that COVID-19 has challenged their preconceived notions about what it means to work for a company, or from an office. As businesses use technology to allow employees to work remotely, we predict more and more people will be working from their favorite ‘happy places.’ The line between primary and secondary homes will continue to blur, with beaches, golf courses and marinas becoming ‘offices.’ These shifts make The Abaco Club an especially attractive playground for affluent families.”
Next up in The Abaco Club’s continued evolution will be the completion of six spec homes. Two are nearly complete, while two more have just broken ground. Construction of the final two is expected to begin in Q1 or Q2 2021. The homes sit on a ridge offering views of both the Caribbean Sea and Atlantic Ocean and are expected to be priced between $2.5 and $5 million. But while the work at Abaco continues, the new Southworth executive team is focused on more than just their Bahamian property.
“We’re working on projects at all of our other communities, including Creighton Farms in Virginia and Willowbend in Massachusetts, and will announce progress throughout 2021,” adds Southworth. “With member engagement and prospect interest near all-time highs, we aren’t going to let that momentum slip through our fingers.”