Salem Painter Dies after Contacting Live Wires

MassCOSH Interim Executive Director Al Vega

BOSTON–The death of a Salem contractor who was electrocuted to death after coming in contact with live wires on the job is a needless tragedy and shows the need for every precaution to be taken by employers when the job site involves working around such a dangerous hazard, MassCOSH said in a statement,

MassCOSH Interim Executive Director Al Vega

According to media reports, the 59-year-old man was working for Baystate Building and Remodeling painting the window sills of a Salem firehouse around 2:45 p.m. when he made contact with the wires. He was working in an elevated metal bucket at the time. The painter’s identity has not yet been released.

“Our thoughts go out to the friends and family of this hard-working man,” said MassCOSH Interim Executive Director Al Vega. “When dangerous jobs, such as working around power wires, result in a fatality, not only are families shattered, but co-workers are traumatized and put in danger themselves in desperate attempts to save the individual. MassCOSH will be monitoring the OSHA investigation and will work to ensure that Baystate Building and Remodeling is held responsible for any careless actions that lead to the death of this man.”

- Advertisement -


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here