BOSTON– The Boston Society for Architecture (BSA) announced the 2021 BSA Design Award winners.
These annual awards celebrate exemplary projects that advance excellence in architecture and design and demonstrate the power of the built environment to empower communities, promote change, and build a more sustainable, equitable Boston.
“With these awards, the Boston Society for Architecture celebrates more than image in design – we celebrate the transformational role that excellent architecture and design can play in shaping Greater Boston for the better,” said Anda French AIA, president of the BSA. “We congratulate the award-winning architects and designers whose work demonstrates the very best in advancing architecture through meaningful engagement with our communities.”
Selected by juries of leading architects, designers, and leaders in the built environment from Boston and across the country, winners of the 2021 awards are:
- Harleston Parker Medal: Renzo Piano Building Workshop in collaboration with Payette for Harvard Art Museums Renovation and Expansion
Since 1921, the Harleston Parker Award has been awarded to “the most beautiful piece of architecture, building, monument or structure within the city limits.”
- Harleston Parker People’s Choice Award: Abacus Architects + Planners for Jefferson Park Apartments
Winner of a poll of over 1,000 members of the Boston architectural community.
- Accessible Design Award: Abacus Architects + Planners for Weinberg House
- Higher Education Facilities Design Award: Ann Beha Architects for Student Learning Commons
- Hospitality Design Award: PCA for the The Revolution Hotel
- Housing Design Award (in partnership with the American Institute of Architects New York): Handel Architects for The Essex at Essex Crossing
- Small Firms Design Award
- BOS|UA for Emerald Necklace Conservancy Renovation
- BOS|UA with Rukamathu.Smith for Public Radio Exchange (PRX) Headquarters
- Sustainable Design Award: Payette for Science and Engineering Complex
- Honor Award for Design Excellence: Leers Weinzapfel Associates for Harvard University District Energy Facility
- BSA Award of Honor: Rodolfo Machado and Jorge Silvetti
- BSA Commonwealth Award: Mayor’s Office of New Urban Mechanics / Mayor’s Housing Innovation Lab
- BSA Earl R. Flansburgh Young Designers Award: Parke MacDowell AIA
- Honorary BSA Membership: Shauna Gillies-Smith ASLA
For more information on award citations and award levels please visit the 2021 Awards website. The BSA will honor all winners and participants at a celebration later this year, as the annual awards gala was postponed due to the COVID-19 surge.
The BSA thanks all the sponsors whose partnership supports excellence in the built environment:
- Honor Awards Sponsor: Poole Professional
- Bronze Sponsors: Existing Conditions Surveys, Inc.; Huber Engineered Woods featuring AdvanTech, ZIP System, and Exacor; and Microsol Resources
- Supporting Sponsors: BEHR Pro; Boston Plasterers and Cement Masons Local 534; Copley Wolff Design Group; Dimeo; Lam Partners; North Light IT; RealFood Hospitality, Strategy and Design; Robert Benson Photography; and SCB.