NEWTON, MA–It’s back to school season and SafeWise has just released its annual “Safest Cities to Raise a Child” report for 2019. Massachusetts is home to 2 of the top 50 ranking cities this year.
“The good news is that no matter where you live in America, your children probably enjoy lower crime levels than you did growing up,” the report said. “Statistics from the FBI show that violent crime in the United States has fallen 49% since 1993, and property crime has also decreased 50% during the same period.”
But what makes a community safe is about more than the prevalence of crime.
“As we dug deep into the data to find the safest cities to raise children, we also considered factors like graduation rates and the number of sex offenders per capita,” according to SafeWise. “Information like this can tell us not only about threats within the community but also how well-positioned these cities are to help kids thrive.”
Key Findings from SafeWise Research:
- This year’s list of the safest cities to raise a child represent 50 cities from 18 states.
- Cities that made our list hail from every region, but 22% were from western states.
- California topped our list with 14 of the safest cities to raise a child, followed by Texas with seven cities.
- While cities in rural states with smaller populations tend to have less crime, they also tend to have lower graduation rates.
- The top five safest cities to raise a child also have some of the highest median incomes on our list.
- Only three cities on our list fell below the average median income in the United States: Lakewood, New Jersey; Port St. Lucie, Florida; and Cape Coral, Florida.2
- Three of the safest cities to raise kids also made our 2019 list of the safest college towns in the United States: Irvine, California; Naperville, Illinois; and Thousand Oaks, California.
- 84% of the cities represented on this year’s report are new.
50 Safest Cities to Raise Children
|Rank||City||State||Population||Median Income||Safety Score|
|15||Mount Pleasant||South Carolina||87,216||$90,454||92.34|
|41||Port St. Lucie||Florida||188,652||$54,046||89.78|
|46||Toms River||New Jersey||92,543||$76,051||89.42|